Cloud Engineer onboarding
Welcome to the Cloud team! This document will guide you through Cloud-team-specific onboarding tasks to make your start here at Sourcegraph as smooth as it can be. Make sure you’ve read and completed the general engineering onboarding guide.
- Clear knowledge of the company goals, values and code of conduct, as well as Cloud’s mission and vision.
- Know the expected outcome of each Cloud onboarding milestone.
- You have a sense of what tools you will be using and for what
- Meet your onboarding buddy
- Attend weekly sync meeting
- Deploy your own SG instance using the following install methods:
- Docker Compose: You should be able to install this locally on your Sourcegraph laptop. If for some reason you do not have the local resources, create a vm in your own engineering project
- Kubernetes: To install this it is recommended you create a cluster in your own engineering project.
- Familiarize yourself with the Sourcegraph’s internal infrastructure and the team’s ownership areas
- Open and merge first GitHub pull request by adding yourself to team page in Handbook
- Read our Cloud team handbook pages
- Join the following Slack channels:
- Request access to the following in #it-tech-ops:
- 1password vaults
Customer managed instancesand
Internal managed instances
- Google Group firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request access to the following in #cloud-internal:
- The Cloud Opsgenie team
- 1password vault Cloud
- Google Group email@example.com
- Develop high-level understanding of product.
- You are participating in our team rituals.
- Get to know your team.
- Work towards closing one issue.
- Schedule a 1 on 1 meeting with each of the engineers in the team
- Set up a local environment. This will be your other test environment. If you get stuck, just post in the #dev-chat Slack channel. You will often want to run Sourcegraph locally when you are troubleshooting or testing.
- Add discussion items to the Weekly Sync doc
- Review the Cloud board
By the end of your first month, the following will be true
- Confidently deploy Sourcegraph via all supported deployment methods, and understand when a customer would use one over the others.
- Begin diving into and improving technical documentation and processes.
- Understand how changes are deployed to our Cloud environments
- Confidently contributing to and closing team issues
- Review the Sourcegraph install docs and make any appropriate updates.
- Shadow another member of Cloud team during an incident or during their on-call schedule.
- Take on new issues, and pair with other engineers.
By the end of your second month, the following will be true
- Made improvements to our processes and how we deliver sourcegraph.com
- Made improvements to our olly
- Take on the @cloud-support rotation and pair with teams to resolve issues.
- Identify inefficiencies and raise issues to fix them
By the end of your third month, the following will be true
- Mentoring direct team members, and engineers in Customer Engineering and Customer Support
- Contribute to long term team goals
- Develop any new material required to help others level up and understand our product
- Add to the team’s planning