The Telemetry Gateway service is the service that ingests telemetry v2 events from all Sourcegraph instances, and is available at
- As of 5.2.0, certain flags can be configured to export events that have been instrumented with the new APIs to Telemetry Gateway.
- For Sourcegraph instances that prior to 5.2.0, no events are exported. A custom mechanism did exist for exporting events specifically from Cloud instances based on individual service agreements with customers - the new telemetry events will supersede this mechanism.
Source code for Telemetry Gateway service is in sourcegraph/sourcegraph/cmd/telemetry-gateway.
The image gets built the same way as any other Sourcegraph service, i.e. with
insiders, the standard
For local development, please refer to its How to set up Telemetry Gateway locally.
Here is a list of useful quick links:
- Prod instance:
telemetry-gateway.sourcegraph.com- currently only accepts real Sourcegraph licenses.
- Dev instance:
telemetry-gateway.sgdev.org- currently only accepts
The following Entitle requests are needed to get access to Telemetry Gateway service infrastructure:
All engineers should have access to the dev project by default.
The Telemetry Gateway service infrastructure is defined in
sourcegraph/managed-services/services/telemetry-gateway utilizing Managed Services Platform.
To modify the deployment manifest:
- Anywhere in the repository, run
sg msp generate telemetry-gateway prod
- Stage changes and make a pull request
- The Terraform Cloud rolls out changes
To specify a Docker image tag other than the default, update the
- id: prod ... deploy: type: manual + manual: + tag: 218287_2023-05-10_5.0-5bd03cd18e71
The deployment’s Cloud Run metrics overview page provides basic observability into the service provided out-of-the-box by Cloud Run, such as instance count and resource utilization.