Table of contents
Team vision and principles
- We have a collaborative, efficient, and repeatable motion for bringing new features and products to market.
- We are a strategic partner for Engineering, Product, Sales, CE, and Marketing. We do our best work when we’re brought in early.
- We orient our work, strategy, and messaging around developers.
- We align our team goals with the broader company goals and our work contributes to both revenue and adoption.
- We are advocates for our customers. We launch products and make decisions with our customers in mind.
How we operate
Align with Product/Engineering: We embed with product/eng to tell our product and platform story, raise awareness for new features and Sourcegraph as a code intelligence platform, and drive adoption. Activities include:
- Launching new features
- Supporting product roadmap planning and prioritization
- Sales and CE enablement/training
- Messaging and positioning
- Competitive intelligence
- Customer proof points
See this doc for details.
Partner with GTM teams: We partner with sales and CE to support pipeline, expansion, and ARR.
- Core product/customer marketing activities: Continue driving core PMM/CM activities, including CAB, Analyst Relations, competitive intelligence, etc.
- Sales/CE: Partner with sales and CE to support pipeline and ARR.
Team roles and responsibilities
Also see our plan
Working with other teams
|Team||Where PMM can add value||How we collaborate|
|Product/Engineering||Product roadmap planning and prioritization, bringing new products to market, pricing and packaging, naming, conducting primary and secondary research, product copy, collaborating on content (blog posts, webinars, etc.)||PMM will be better able to support feature/product launches and influence the product roadmap with early involvement.|
|Sales/CE||Messaging and positioning, use cases and value drivers, buyer personas, creating external collateral (pitch decks, one sheeters, case studies), product training, competitive intelligence, synthesizing and sharing customer feedback||PMM primarily focuses on “one:many” communication, whereas Sales/CE primarily focus on “one:one” communication. There may be times that PMM is brought in to support a strategic customer or prospect, but the team is not big enough to support every deal.|
|Marketing||Messaging and positioning, buyer personas, content development and review, subject matter expertise, marketing campaigns and programs||We function as a cohesive marketing team and loop cross-marketing stakeholders in early to collaborate.|
Product launch templates and resources
- Product marketing brief: Messaging and positioning doc for new products/features.
- Naming guide: Best practices/process for naming new products/features.
- Marketing launch tiers: Guidance for establishing the launch tier for new products/features.
- Approved assets: GIFs, videos, and images that are externally shareable
- GTM Hub (go-to-market resources)
- Product marketing hierarchy
- Batch Changes positioning
- Release post process
- Customer marketing
- Product Marketing & Product Manager collaboration