As an all-remote company, we are encouraged to take advantage of working from anywhere. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when on the road.
Before you go:
- Make sure you check and install any software updates on your laptop before you leave a secure and fast network connection, as sometimes these can take a while
- Increase the password complexity on all your devices
- Change your laptop screen lock time from 5 Minutes (Sourcegraph standards) to 1 or 2 minutes
- Erase anything private/sensitive on your hard drive and save everything to Google drive instead
- Review our computer requirements to make sure standards, WS1 and Carbon Black are in place
- Presenting? Demoing at an event? Contact Tech Ops for a loaner to bring along - avoid using your own laptop for presentations/demos/etc. if there is a possibilty someone else might access it
- Never leave your devices unattended in public
- Use the safe in your hotel room to store your laptop
Having network connection issues (eg. WiFi not working)?
- Try another location and/or device
- Restart your computer, try connecting again
- If you cannot connect after a restart, please reach out to the Tech Ops team in the #it-tech-ops channel via Slack on your phone or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include as much detail as you can (screenshots, error codes, where you are, how you are connecting, etc.)