- All full-time teammates must have a Sourcegraph computer
- All teammates must work from their Sourcegraph computer
- All teammates must only use their Sourcegraph computer for accessing company data
- Sourcegraph approves the use of Apple macOS only (you may work with Windows and Linux devices for work that does not involve internal, private or confidential company data, such as open source coding)
- All teammates should adhere to our related usage and access policies:
Company data is any personal, confidential, or sensitive teammate or client information. This would include (but is not limited to): customer data and metadata, Sourcegraph IP, audit logs, security incidents, contracts, personal information about clients or teammates, and internal communications, such as email and Slack. You can more about this in our Data management policy.
We are currently improving our Acceptable Use Policy, which will give further details on data handling expectations and device usage, such as use of mobile phones/tablets. You may continue to access Gmail, calendar, Zoom, and Slack on your mobile device as long as it is password protected, screen lock enabled, updated with the latest software, and is not jailbroken.
- Set up Sourcegraph’s endpoint standards
- Install Workspace One & Carbon Black
- Check that your warrenty information is reflected on your Apple device
Note: All devices purchased through our partners will have been purchased with a warranty. If it is not reflected please reach out to Tech Ops. If you purchased the device yourself and forgot to include a warranty please do so within 30 days.
Please go here for more information about the recommended devices for all our teammates as well as steps for ordering a device.
Please go here to see our policy on computer upgrades.
Currently, we are experiencing extensive wait times to receive new laptops due to Apple logistics delays. If you are waiting for your Sourcegraph computer to arrive you can do one of the following (listed in order of preference):
- Request a loaner laptop - this is severely limited based on location and availability
- Use your personal device as a temporary measure, as long as the minimum security measures can be instituted
- Rent a laptop from a local provider, #it-tech-ops can pay for this service - this is also limited by location and availability
Tech Ops has a number of computers available to be allocated in the event you need one. Please reached out to the Tech Ops team in the #it-tech ops channel to request a device. As we are a global company not all situations can be accommodated through this process, however, Tech Ops is committed to ensuring you have access to the device you need to do your job and will work with you to find the right solution.
If you are a temporary contractor, waiting to receive a Sourcegraph computer, or if there has been some damage or circumstance where the machine is unavailable, you may use a personal device as a temporary solution provided that you either set up WS1 and Carbon Black or, at a minimum, set up our standards and have an antivirus installed on the device. Please reached out to the Tech Ops team in the #it-tech ops channel to get an invite to our antivirus software, Carbon Black.
If you do work from your non-company device you would be acknowledging the risks associated with doing so. For example, if anything happens to the device (broken/stolen/etc) it would not be the responsibility of Sourcegraph to replace or fix it. If there were to be a breach and company data was compromised then the computer could be taken over by a forensic team and inspected.
If something has happened to your Sourcegraph device please contact #it-tech-ops and we can assist you in fixing your device, getting you a loaner while your device is getting fixed, or helping you send your device to be evaluated and repaired/replaced. All Sourcegraph computers should be purchased with Apple Care or some form of warranty.
For repairs under warranty in the US, a teammate can either send it to our partner, ComputerCare, to be fixed or else go to their local Apple store. For repairs not under warranty please contact #it-tech-ops to have it sent to ComputerCare to be evaluated and repaired/replaced.
For repairs outside of the US, a teammate should only go to an Apple store directly or a certified Apple repair center.
All devices being sent for repair need to be wiped of all data, this should be done by Tech Ops through Workspace One prior to dropping the device off.
If you have a device that you are having upgraded you can either:
- participate in our buyback program, where we will transfer ownership to you.
- return it to Sourcegraph.
To return a Sourcegraph device that is no longer needed, please contact Tech Ops with the following information to assess the best method of returning the device:
- Serial number of the device and specs of the device
- Are there any issues with the laptop?
- Would you like a box and a label shipped to you or just the label (this will be emailed)?
- Address and phone number for shipping
- For those devices where a business need is required for a Windows environment (i.e. to run certain applications), we will create a virtual environment through the use of Amazon Workspaces and show each user how they can use this on the Apple device.
- We can create a similar Linux environment for those wishing to have this capability on their Apple devices.
- We can manage and monitor these environments remotely hence we can make sure they are compliant with our policies.
- We are all-remote: our teammates work all over the world, from the office of their choosing, and this has inherent risks for device management (such as unauthorized access, an increased likelihood that a device is lost/stolen, and wireless network attacks). We feel that Macs, and the tools we can install on Macs, can provide us with the greatest ability to protect these devices and the data accessed while continuing to support our global teammates.
- We are customer-first: we have an obligation to protect our clients’ and teammates’ data and privacy. Standardizing to Mac and restricting our access policy is part of adhering to this promise.
- We are growing: as we grow we have begun standardizing across all areas of our business. Having a standardized device that all teammates use will provide a platform on which we can all build and deploy more efficiently across Sourcegraph.