- Accept GitHub’s email invite to the Sourcegraph org (you should be a member of the
Everyonegroup in Sourcegraph’s GitHub organization).
- Add yourself to the end of the team.yml file by pasting the sample below and modifying it. You could consider including sites your LinkedIn, Twitter, or anything else in the links section. For pronunciation, you can record an audio file from your phone using name-coach.com). Feel free to include info on hobbies, work experience, family, pets, etc. in the description.
- In the edit view, copy the example below, paste it at the end of the edit view, and make it about yourself! Look at others’ bios for more examples.
- Under “Commit changes” at the bottom of the page, replace the “Update team.yml” text with a summary of your change, e.g., Add Marie to team page.
- Click the green “Commit changes” button. If you do not see the green “Commit Changes” button, refer to step 1. Successful changes will become visible shortly (but not immediately).
- Consider adding yourself to the team members locations map.
You can find an example template below that uses all available features.
marie_curie: name: Marie Curie email: email@example.com github: marie_curie pronouns: she/her role: Staff Scientist reports_to: vp_research location: Passy, Haute-Savoie, France 🇫🇷 links: '[Wikipedia](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Curie)' pronunciation: https://forvo.com/word/marie_curie/ description: I am a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity. I was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, the first person and the only woman to win the Nobel Prize twice, and the only person to win the Nobel Prize in two scientific fields. My husband, Pierre Curie, was a co-winner on her first Nobel Prize, making us the first ever married couple to win the Nobel Prize and launching the Curie family legacy of five Nobel Prizes. I was, in 1906, the first woman to become a professor at the University of Paris.
All fields except
reports_to are optional, and you can use markdown and emojis inside all the fields except
links example below.
The order of fields doesn’t matter. If you aren’t comfortable with markdown, you can check out our tips and tricks page. If you receive errors during the build, check the handbook check failures page.
Indentation is also important with YAML, there should be two spaces before every line with a field. Quoting is also important, if you use a single quote inside your description you should use a double quote outside (i.e.,
description: "this is Marie's bio", or a single quote outside if you want to use double quotes inside (i.e.,
description: 'This is the "best" bio'). If you get stuck on YAML parsing errors check in the #handbook channel and lots of people can help.
If you would like to be added to the company-wide org chart as well, see the additional instructions below.
If you are joining as a new manager, be sure to add
manager_role_slug to your personal entry. After adding that, check that any team members who report to you have the appropriate
reports_to field in their entry. If you are stepping into a role that has been filled by an interim manager, you can update the existing entry rather than creating a new one. The entry would look something like this (depending on your role), but if you’re unsure then ask your manager:
director_design: name: Christina Forney role: (Interim) Director of Design reports_to: vp_product manager_role_slug: director_design
(Interim) from the role title. You don’t need to change the
Most of our individual product team pages have org charts that are autogenerated from the product_teams.yml file. If you are a new product manager, product marketing manager, designer, or engineering manager joining a team, please make sure to check this file and add yourself there as well.
Add your personal entry, and make sure it has a
reports_to field with the appropriate slug if you would like to appear on the company-wide org chart. To find your manager’s slug, locate your manager’s entry, and use the value they have entered for
manager_role_slug. For example, if you report to Anna Mikhova, her
product_director_growth. So you’d add a row that looks like this:
your_name: name: Your Name reports_to: product_director_growth