Here are some books that folks on the team have read and recommend. If you haven’t read these, use your education budget and read them!
- Designing Design - Note: This may take some searching to find at a reasonable price, but is certainly worth the search.
- Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design
- Building For Everyone: Expand Your Market With Design Practices From Google’s Product Inclusion Team
- Offscreen Magazine: The Human Side of Technology
- Org Design for Design Orgs
- Articulating Design Decisions
Product management exists as a collection of skills. Sometimes the most powerful insights come from completely independent readings. These do not fit into a traditional category though have a strong impact on creating world-class products.
- Syntax & Sage: Reflections on Software and Nature - This collection of small essays from a former CS professor, Google exec, and startup CEO are powerfully deep yet don’t require hours of reading to understand. The focus on Marshall McLuhan’s idea “We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us” is one of the most important learnings for all PMs to understand.