Roles on the Development team
This page lists the roles on our Development team.
Software engineers build our product and infrastructure.
- Model and apply our company values and our guiding engineering principles throughout all your interactions and work.
- Iteratively create, ship, and maintain high quality architecture, code, tests, and documentation that aligns with team goals.
- Document and share your progress in relevant locations at least once a week (for example: in GitHub issues, team slack channel, #progress, CHANGELOG.md).
- Prioritize unblocking and supporting your teammates (for example: sharing knowledge, answering questions, providing feedback).
- Help build a great team by referring people who you would like to work with, interviewing candidates, and suggesting improvements to our hiring process.
Engineering managers lead, grow, and develop teams of software engineers.
- Facilitate and sustain a healthy, inclusive team culture where everyone is set up to do their best work (examples: retrospectives, team events).
- Model, teach, and apply our values and our guiding engineering principles.
- Ensure the team has clear incremental goals that are documented and are always up-to-date (example: PM – EM partnership responsibilities).
- Regularly communicate the team’s progress toward their goals as well as changes in team goals to appropriate stakeholders (examples: presenting a slide at company meeting, sending status updates)
- Support and coach teammates to grow in their careers and fulfill their responsibilities (examples: 1-1s, career levels, retrospectives, Impact review cycles, compensation)
- Participate in our talent review sessions and ensure your team is fairly compensated.
- Grow the team in a sustainable way so that the team can accomplish more over time (examples: define open roles, maintain a hiring plan over time, source candidates with help from our talent org, define efficient and effective interview process, make hiring decisions).
The VP of Engineering ensures that we have an effective engineering organization at Sourcegraph.
- Ensure that we have excellent people on our engineering team who are inspired and motivated.
- Ensure that we have the right plans/priorities, and we are delivering on those plans quickly/reliably.
- Ensure that we are making the right technical investments for the long term success of our product and team.
- Ensure that we have excellent culture, organization, and processes.