Sourcegraph is an all-remote company. This means we all need to make an effort to travel to meet up in person and spend quality time with other team members all around the world.
- When planning a trip with another teammate(s), actively gauge the level of comfort of others for both the activities you’ll be engaging in, and how you plan on meeting up. Be inclusive of different interests in the group.
- For team travel, not everyone on your team may be able to join your meetup. If you will be discussing work related things that involve members of the team who are not physically present, you must find a way to include them remotely. Accessibility to conversations is important, and all teammates must feel included, whether or not they are joining in person.
- All meetups are to remain completely optional for all attendees.
- Due to the current circumstances of Covid-19, everyone is experiencing comfort on differing levels. It is important to honor boundaries around comfort during this time. For more information on adhering to proper Covid-19 protocols during your trip planning, please review the Sherpa feature in TripActions.
- Use your best judgement and defer to local jurisdictions in determining the number of attendees.
- When planning or attending any type of meetup, remember that you are representing the Sourcegraph team. In alignment with our company values, we encourage a lens of inclusion in creating an equitable meetup for all teammates.
- Follow local laws, customs, and safety regulations during every step of the meetup process.
- The Company will reimburse testing for Covid-19 when traveling for Company events. The typical reimbursed test is approximately $25 per person per trip.
We are a high agency team. Be economical in choosing your accommodations, modes of transportation, and where you’ll be dining. We understand that there may be limits, and we urge you to find options that are both convenient for you while being reasonable reimbursements for the company.
For example: If you are attending a conference and see that a cheaper hotel is a half hour away from your conference venue, but you will need to pay for the taxi to the venue which would ultimately make your cost the same, book a more convenient option!
We also want you and expect you to use your full travel budgets each year! For this reason, they aren’t transferrable, and unused budget doesn’t roll over into the next year. These budgets are based on our fiscal calendar, so they will renew on February 1st each year.
- A teammate cannot reallocate the budget from a company-wide event to an individual trip.
- A teammate cannot use their team budget for individual travel.
There are five types of company-sponsored, company-paid travel:
- Company-wide travel
- Team travel
- Individual travel
- Business/customer travel
- Professional development/ educational travel
Each teammate has two fully-paid trips (flights, lodging, food, transportation) to the chosen locations of company meet-ups each year.
- Winter party (typically held in San Francisco)
- Spring/summer event
Each team is allocated $4,000 USD per year per teammate for team meetups (minimum two members of the team). The primary purpose of Team travel is to effectively build relationships with the people you work with on your teams. The best team trips are the ones with 50% bonding, and 50% work/collaboration time factored in. TIn planning your Team travel, feel free to reference a sample agenda below:
9am-12pm: Breakfast + Team collaboration time 12pm-1pm: Team lunch 1-4pm: Team bonding activities 5-6pm: Solo time 6-8pm: Team dinner
Factor in as much time to spend together during the trip and leave room for solo-exploring/recharging separate from the group.
- This is designed to allow each team to hold at least one event every six months (in addition to the company-wide events above).
- This budget can be used for travel (airfare, trains, etc.), lodging (hotels, rental homes, etc.), events, meals and entertainment.
- Teams are expected to use discretion about what events are appropriate for team outings. Be inclusive of all of the groups interests.
- If one individual is a member of multiple teams, they will receive the same amount for each of their teams.
- The budget can be used for online team bonding events if the team prefers. See our Remote-friendly team bonding document for ideas.
Each teammate has one fully-paid trip per year to meet up with an individual or a group, and this can include anyone in the company.
- People Ops and Finance will approve trips in excess of $2,500 for certain circumstances.
- This trip is in addition to the other benefits mentioned on this page.
For teammates with business-related travel requirements aligned with Company goals, trips will be fully paid pending manager/director approval in addition to above budgets. Please note you cannot combine the Teammate In-person Gathering budget with Category 4 trips. We would include the following types of meetups in Category 4:
- Customer Champion meetups
- Director to Executive level meetups (no approval required)
- Marketing conferences
- Regional Sales Kickoff (Sales, Sales Ops, CE included)
- Conference speaking engagement conferences
Each teammate has $1,000 per fiscal year to spend on professional development opportunities that will enhance the knowledge, human skills, and thinking required to fulfill the purpose of your role and advance your career at Sourcegraph.
This professional development budget includes:
Reading materials: Books, magazines, and subscriptions (digital or printed)
Role specific: License fees / continuing education specific to your role
- Courses, workshops, and/or exhibitions, both digital or in-person (including transportation)
- Extended educational degrees, university classes, and certifications
Conferences: Attending conferences relevant to your role (the attendance and travel fees associated with them
Leadership/professional coaching: obtaining certified professional coaching outside of our organization or continuing to work with your Modern Health coach beyond our given 10 annual coaching credits
*Best practice tip: Request budget approval from your manager before booking any professional development opportunities.*
If any of the above meet the guidelines for usage and fall within your $1,000 allowance, you do not need approval from Finance + People Ops. If you have your eye on something that exceeds the allowance but is important to your role and/or team, please first raise the request with your manager and your manager can reach out to Finance for approval PRIOR to booking.
This section will inform you how to obtain manager approval and get sign-off for your professional development opportunity.
The applicant is responsible for collecting the information below (where applicable), and each cost must be estimated in USD:
Event name and link to the website:
Event Location (city, country):
Duration of stay (days, nights):
Is quarantine required for travel? If so, for how long:
Hotel and lodging:
Additional information (if applicable):
- Applicant collects information as described above before any booking or reservation
- Applicant sends their manager the above information via email with the title [Approval for Professional Development Stipend on insert date]
- The manager works with the director to ensure that the budget is available
- The manager confirms with the applicant if the application is approved or not
For any anticipated spending over $1,000 USD, please follow the above steps and CC the [email protected] alias with a note included in the title as [Approval for Professional Development Stipend - Anticipated Spend over 1k].
We advise spending within reason for the location you are visiting, with a $300 USD per night maximum spend limit (including taxes, fees, and parking).
Spending over $300 USD per night requires additional approvals from Finance / People Ops.
Please send [email protected] an email with your manager and department VP cc’d including your proposal. In this email, please share screenshots from your research showing why your proposal would be the most economical option given the surrounding hotels. Finance will reply with an approval or request to book other accommodations.
- Economy class is recommended for booking all travel. (If you need any higher tier of booking, reach out to Finance/People Ops for approval.)
- Travelers must book flights at least 30 days in advance to avoid premium airfare pricing. (If you need to book a flight on short notice, reach out to Finance/People Ops for approval.)
- Book from travel providers that offer flexible cancellation policies and refundable rates, should your plans change at any time.
- We strongly encourage obtaining travel insurance, especially in the Covid environment.
- Sourcegraph will pay for flight to and from locations. Any changes made to your itinerary to extend your trip and change your flight itinerary will be out of pocket expenses.
- At this time, we do not reimburse airport traveler programs, such as TSA-Pre, Global Entry, or Clear.
- Gas and parking would be considered reimbursable within the applicable budget (Category 2,3,5) travel.
- When driving a personal vehicle to a company-sponsored event (Category 1, 4), the Company will reimburse based on current IRS standard mileage rate of $0.56 per mile for 2021. This reimbursement per mile incorporates not only the cost of the fuel, but also maintenance and wear and tear of the vehicle. Upon expense submission, please provide a calculation of miles driven to and from the event.
- Ride-shares (Uber, Lyft, etc.) are encouraged whenever possible instead of renting a car.
We ask you to use your best judgment when traveling and spending company money. Don’t go overboard with spending on food and drinks. Always ask for receipts for expenses over $25 USD and keep them organized.
- All teammates will receive a per diem while they travel:
- $80 per day for all 3 meals, alcoholic beverages included.
- Any additional spending for food or drinks will come out of your own pocket.
- Please note that this is money that is available to be reimbursed, and you will not roll over any unused money to the next day. We encourage you to use this set amount, as your daily per diem amount will reset the following day.
- We will reimburse only your own portion of the bill if you’re traveling with a non-teammate, so make sure to separate your bills or ask for separate receipts.
Please see below for a complete summary of spend limit, per diem, and hotel budget guidelines for each type of trip. The best practice is to plan your trip in accordance with the per diem and hotel policy, in order to efficiently use the spending budget allowed. Costs incurred will only be reimbursed to spending limits provided (or the applicable guidance), so it is up to the individual/team how to best allocate that spending allowance for their trips.
|Trip Category||Total Spend Limit||Per Diem?||Hotel Budget?|
|Team||$4,000||Recommended if under budget only||Recommended if under budget only|
|Individual||$2,500||Recommended if under budget only||Recommended if under budget only|
|Education||$1,000||Recommended if under budget only||Recommended if under budget only|
For business critical travel or travel required for your role, we offer a budget to pay for care of children, family members with hardships/disabilities, elderly, or pets who are fully dependent on you. If you’re interested in using this benefit, feel free to submit a receipt via Expensify (US teammates) or via invoice (International teammates).
- This benefit exists to support our teammates who have dependents by giving them the certainty of knowing that their dependents will be taken care of while they are on business critical company travel.
- For any additional questions, please reach out to Finance and People Ops.
TripActions is our source of truth for booking travel. All teammate travel must be booked through this platform to be considered within your travel budgets. Please refer to our TripActions guide which covers topics including: account setup, how to book a trip, bookings policy, etc.
We have provided an easy-to-complete travel budget calculator for your next team trip. See our Travel Budget Example for ideas when submitting requests.